Tuesday 7 February 2017

Creative weekend 6 - "Golden Ginkgo"

Another journal page started during a weekend and finished on Monday in Seawhite hardbound 7.5"x7.5" (ca. 20x20 cm) journal.

"Golden Ginkgo" started as a simple two colored watercolor background. Mix of dark and light green and dark blue watercolors created very nice turquoise - blue blend, although I used a very cheap old watercolors I have. I just spritzed it a bit with water and dried with a heat tool and a paper towel. Wet colors looks great, but dried with the heat tool they become quite dull.  So then I used a glossy acrylic medium (varnish) over the whole page and they started to shine again :0).
I used an older clock stencil with copper acrylic paint and the fish (Local King rubber stamps) and oriental text (Artemio) stamps with a darker gold acrylic paint. And on top another layer of glossy acrylic medium, so everything is nicely bright and sealed.
After that I painted one sheet of paper with lighter gold acrylic paint and used a ginkgo leaf die (Impression Obsession) from my stash. Because I was not quite satisfied with the gold acrylic color on the leaves, I tried to find some alternative I could use. Finally I over-painted all the leaves with Winsor & Newton gold drawing ink. This ink is incredibly shiny and beautiful and the color is exactly the lighter gold I wanted, because the main idea for this page was to make a gradation of metallic colors from dark to light :0)
At the end I made some shading around and under the leaves with grey PIT artist pen brush markers.

And because I'm not able to decide which photo I should use for this project, here are more examples how the page change in the sunlight :0)

P.S. If you would like to see any of the photos on this blog bigger and more detailed, just open it separately in a new tab :0)

6. 2. 2017 Golden Ginkgo

















7 comments:

  1. Fantastic creation! I love this color combo together and love that fish stamp! Thanks for sharing your creative expression!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are the leaves made from paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :0) Yes, they are from paper. I painted cardstock with gold acrylic paint. Then I cut the leaves out with a die and embossed them with the same embossable die with the help of a rubber platform from my BigShot.

      Delete